Scribd.com is a website that many people have not heard of despite the fact that more than 50,000 new documents are uploaded daily. This is a social publishing site, where people come together to share original works. It is a user-friendly and direct website which offers an easy way to put your documents online. Scribd.com has a very effective search engine (supported by major search engines) and the documents are well organized and sorted well by categories, tags, ratings and reviews.
Some of the best features of this site are:
- Built with Adobe Flash, iPaper which will display documents regardless of whether you are using Windows, MacOS, or Linux without downloading any software or files.
- You can convert any major document formats into iPaper online. The documents must be converted to iPapers before putting your documents in Scribd. Scribd.com support: Adobe pdf (.pdf), Adobe PostScript (.ps), Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx), Microsoft Excel (.xls, xlsx), OpenOffice Text Document (.odt, .sxw), OpenOffice Presentation Document (.odp, .sxi), OpenOffice Spreadsheet (.ods, .sxc), Plain text (.txt), Rich text format (.rtf), PostScript files, PowerPoint presentations, and OpenOffice documents.
- No need to sign up for uploading your works. However, doing so you deny yourself the ownership of the documents you upload. Signing up gives you ownership and specific copyright policies.
- Create and manage a personal reading site.
- Subscribe to your favorite author and receive notification of when they create a networks, they ratings, scribble published documents, directing to your homepage of scribd.com
- Provides a mobile based website
- Promotes scribd community and blogs